Be Creative with Your Sewing Machine
with Sylvia G. Snyder
Wednesday, October 2nd
9am – 4pm
Reserve your spot today, as class sizes are limited!
FACES Members receive 10% off all class registration fees for 2013!
About the Class
Create wonderful fiber art pieces using decorative stitches and embellishments. In this 6 hours class we will start with solid color fabric that will be painted and changed more with every decorative machine-stitch and couching yarn stitch. We will finish with quilting, beading, and hand embroidery stitches.
The cost for this all-day course is $45. A separate kit fee, made payable to Sylvia, will be required on the day of the class.
Preparation before class:
- Check that your machine is in good working order.
- All machine accessories including darning (quilting) and open toe foot, pintuck foot or cording foot if you have them, and bobbins
- Seam ripper
- Double needle for use with your pintuck foot
- Embroidery or topstitch needle #80/12
- Rotary cutter, mat, ruler and small scissors
- Small iron and iron mat (if you have one)
- Glue stick (my favorite is Elmer’s washable)
- Wash Away Tear-Away Stabilizer (or your favorite one, I will have some available for purchase)
- Machine sewing and embroidery threads in many colors
- Yarns for couching (approx. 3 yards)
- Hand embroidery threads and beads
- One fat quarter (I use Kona Cotton fabric)
- Fabric for backing
- Ironing board, iron, and extension cord will be supplied
Sylvia Gabriela Snyder found her inspiration for fabric art when she learned of Japanese fabric works in a class she attended (1993). After Sylvia moved to the U.S. in 2000, she was intent on discovering her own style and expression through fabric art. After attending many exhibits, Sylvia entered an exhibit in 2006, winning her first ribbon at the Bernina Challenge. After this exhibit, Sylvia has had her work showcased in numerous exhibitions all over the nation, and has won many other awards.
Look for other upcoming classes by Sylvia!
Sylvia will be giving a class on the first Wednesday of every month. Her next FACES workshop will be “Woven Fabrics,” on Wednesday, November 6, 2013!