Thread Painting with Sylvia G. Snyder
Wednesday, May 1st
9am – 4pm
Reserve your spot today, as class sizes are limited!
FACES Members receive 10% off all class registration fees for 2013!
About the Class
Thread Painting is an all-day class held at the Fiber Arts Center of the Eastern Shore. This workshop will teach you how to blend colors and balance your small project. After the duration of this class, your finished project will measure approximately 12” x 17”, teaching you different thread painting techniques including 3D free-standing leaves, dimensional flowers, and a vase painted with 2 different threads through the eye of the needle. Learning the thread painting technique will improve your free-motion machine quilting, teach you how to better control your stitches, and allow for smooth flowing quilting.
The cost for this all-day course is $45. A $5 kit (made payable to Sylvia) will be available for purchase the day of the class. The kit includes: 8” x 8” heavy cut away, 6” x 6” flower fabric, Super Solvy water stabilizer, bobbin thread, and a 13” x 18” Pellon Fleece 998. Students may bring these supplies to class, instead of purchasing kit.
An ironing board, iron, and extension cord will be provided for you.
Supplies needed for the class include:
- Sewing machine (capable of dropping the feed dogs):
- All machine accessories, including daring foot & bobbins (essential of this class).
- Embroidery needle #90/14 or topstitch needle #100/16
- Hoop- best is Morgan’s No-Slip Hoop, but any spring hoop is fine.
- General Requirements:
- Rotary cutter, mat, ruler, small scissors (may share with a friend)
- Glue stick (recommended: Elmer’s Washable)
- Fine point permanent marker (recommended: Sharpie)
- Freezer Paper 12” x 12” or larger
- Neutral colored sewing thread (for general assembly)
- Many shades of red, orange, purple, pink, orange, green, black, multicolor, variegated, and twisted in any of the following thread types:
- Rayon 40 and/or 30
- Embroidery polyester 40 and/or 30
- Cotton machine embroidery (or quilting) 50 and/or 40
- 10” x 15” background fabric
- 10” x 15” muslin
- Two strips of 2.5” x 28” fabric (for border)
- 13” x 18” backing fabric
- 8” x 8” fabric for the vase (no batiks, please)
Sylvia Gabriela Snyder found her inspiration for fabric art when she learned of Japanese fabric works in a class she attended (1993). After Sylvia moved to the U.S. in 2000, she was intent on discovering her own style and expression through fabric art. After attending many exhibits, Sylvia entered an exhibit in 2006, winning her first ribbon at the Bernina Challenge. After this exhibit, Sylvia has had her work showcased in numerous exhibitions all over the nation, and has won many other awards.
Look for other upcoming classes by Sylvia!
Sylvia will be giving a class on the first Wednesday of every month. Her next FACES workshop will be “Dream House, the art of drawing with thread, and painting fabric with ink”, on Wednesday, May 1st, 2013!