Kicking off FiberFest 2013:
A Dream House You Can Build
Sketching with Threads and Painting with Inks
with Sylvia G. Snyder
Thursday, August 1st
9am – 4pm
Reserve your spot today, as class sizes are limited!
FACES Members receive 10% off all class registration fees for 2013!
About the Class
A Dream House You Can Build is an all-day class to be held at the Caroline County Public Library. This class is open to all levels, from beginning to advanced, and will teach Sylvia’s original method of sketching with threads and painting with inks. This workshop will teach you how to build depth with 2D elements in threads. After the duration of this class, you will head home with an almost finished project (measuring 10″ x 12″), and will amaze yourself with what you have learned!
The cost for this all-day course is $45. A $14 kit (made payable to Sylvia) will be available for purchase the day of the class.
The kit includes: 1 yard 805 Wonder -Under®, 10” x 12” Peltex 70 stabilizer, two Bottled Tsukineko Inks (80&82), plus 2 Fantastix applicators. If you purchase these materials on your own, you don’t have to purchase the kit. A few additional ink colors and Fabrico Markers will be available for purchase in class. An ironing board, iron, and extension cord will be provided for you.
Preparation before class:
- Check that your machine is in good working order.
- Have your name badge.
- All machine accessories including darning and open toe foot, and bobbins
- Magnifying lenses (if you already own one)
- Seam ripper
- Embroidery or topstitch needle #80/12 or 90/14
- Rotary cutter, small mat, and small ruler (not essential), small scissors
- Hoop 7” or 8″ (spring hoops or Hoop-la)
- Glue stick (my favorite is Elmer’s washable) and fine point marker (Sharpie)
- Magnifying eyeglasses (if you already own one)
- 3D red fabric paint (I will have some), red fabric marker 0.5, pain brash 00 or 01 (small)
- Embroidery threads in the following colors: grey, black, grey variegated, various shades of brown, brown variegated
- 11” x 13” background (winter looking fabric I use one with glitter)
- 11” x 13” backing fabric
Sylvia Gabriela Snyder found her inspiration for fabric art when she learned of Japanese fabric works in a class she attended (1993). After Sylvia moved to the U.S. in 2000, she was intent on discovering her own style and expression through fabric art. After attending many exhibits, Sylvia entered an exhibit in 2006, winning her first ribbon at the Bernina Challenge. After this exhibit, Sylvia has had her work showcased in numerous exhibitions all over the nation, and has won many other awards.
Look for other upcoming classes by Sylvia!
Sylvia will be giving a class on the first Wednesday of every month.